2008 Kentucky Derby Top 10 Contenders, Odds and Comments
by Professional Horse Race Handicapper Kenneth Strong
Last Updated Monday, April 14, 2008
Pyro failed to pick up his feet when trying polytrack for the first time in the Bluegrass, but Gayego did just what he thought he would in the Arkansas Derby, wiring the field while setting a fast pace. Were still giving Colonel John the Kentucky Derby edge right now as long as there are enough speed horses entered to ensure a decent early pace. Big Brown looks like the class of the speed but he wont have an easy time of it unless he can rate. Were thinking Pyro could rebound with a good race in the Derby, but still give the edge to the Californians at this point. The odds below reflect our current opinion of each horse. Sportsbook odds may differ significantly.
Horse - Odds - Comments for 2008 Kentucky Derby Contenders
1. Colonel John (3-1) Overcame trouble in the Santa Anita Derby to win and had to run all the way to the wire down the lane to do it. Looks like hell get the 1 -mile distance on Derby day.
2. Big Brown (4-1) - Huge win in the Florida Derby, an excellent stamina pedigree and room for improvement make him the horse to beat - IF no one can take a round out of him on the final turn.
3. Gayego (7-1) Confirmed that the California horses were legitimate with a fast pace-setting win in the Arkansas Derby, but we dont think he needs to be on the lead to win.
4. Pyro (8-1) His polytrack experiment in the Bluegrass was a flop but he could rebound at a nice price when back on the Derby dirt if he gets some pace to run at.
5. Court Vision (12-1) Loved the way he finished in the Wood Memorial and should be all set for Derby Day now. Also needs a fast pace up front.
6. Denis of Cork (15-1) Upset by a longshot speed horse in the Illinois Derby, we cant believe hes that bad. Well see how he trains at Churchill Downs.
7. Tale of Ekati (20-1) Gutted out Wood Memorial win and could improve again.
8. War Pass (20-1) Ran a gutsy race in the Wood memorial and should benefit from that but does he really want a mile and a quarter?
9. Adriano(35-1) - Lanes End win was decent but still needs a real test of class.
10. Fierce Wind (50-1) Looked great winning the Sam F Davis but was crushed by Big Brown in the Florida Derby. What happened?